Welcome to the YMCA of Southern West Virginia. Since 1963 we've
been an inclusive organization of men, women and children joined together by a shared commitment to nurturing the potential
of kids, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility in the communities we call home.
Our Cause Defines Us
We know that lasting personal and social change comes about when we all work together. That’s why, at
the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone,
regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive.
Strength is in Community
The Y is a nonprofit like no other. That’s because in our neighborhoods
across Southern West Virginia, we have the presence and partnerships to not just promise, but deliver, positive change.
- The Y is community centered. For nearly 50 years, we’ve been listening and responding to our
- The Y brings people together. We connect people of all ages and backgrounds to bridge the gaps in community
- The Y nurtures potential. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive.
- The Y has local presence and global reach. We mobilize local communities to effect lasting, meaningful change.
Our Impact is Felt Everyday
With a mission to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build a healthy spirit, mind
and body for all, our impact is felt when an individual makes a healthy choice, when a mentor inspires a child and when a
community comes together for the common good.
Facts & Figures
- The Y is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization for youth development, healthy living
and social responsibility.
- The Y is a powerful association of men, women, and children committed to bringing
about lasting personal and social change. With a focus on nurturing the potential of every child and teen, improving the nation’s
health and well-being and providing opportunities to give back and support neighbors, the Y enables youth, adults, families
and communities to be healthy, confident, connected and secure.
- In the U.S., the Y is comprised of YMCA of the USA,
a national resource office, and more than 2,600 independent and autonomous YMCAs with approximately 20,000 staff and 500,000
volunteers in 10,000 communities across the country.
- The Y engages 9 million youth and 12 million adults in 10,000
communities across the U.S.
- Worldwide, the Y serves more than 45 million people in 124 countries. Ys across
the U.S. play an integral role in strengthening the leadership and youth programs of the Y around the world.
staff and volunteers of the Y include men, women and children of all ages and from all walks of life.
- The Y offers
programs, services and initiatives focused on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, according to the
unique needs of the communities it engages.
- The Y is accessible to all people. Financial assistance is offered
to individuals and families who cannot afford membership.
- The Y is guided by four core values: caring, honesty, respect,